Friday, 31 May 2013

I am back!

Hello all my lovely followers, as you may have noticed I have not been blogging all month.  Thank you for bearing with me and to Sandra from Beauty Balm for her fab guest post.

At the very end of April we had a kitchen fire (I have put a few pics up, rubbish quality and I didn't want to put too many on here).  It was caused by the dishwasher, I am not going to disclose which make it is as there is an investigation that is taking place with the insurance company and I do not want to jeopardise it in any way. It was a very well known brand though!

I was in the house with our son and my hubby was in work, we got out safely and the fire service were amazing and reached the house within minutes of me dialing 999.  It is scary how quickly the fire spread though and the whole house was consumed in thick black smoke by the time they arrived.

The smoke alarms were all working in the house which is why we were alerted to the fire very quickly and managed to get out without any panic.  I don't usually write many personal posts on here but I wanted to say - please, please make sure your smoke alarms are working.  They really do save lives.




The fire service also told me that the majority of house fires are caused by dishwashers, washing machines and tumble dryers and to never put them on before going to bed or leaving the house.  I know we used to do both but we won't be in future!

There is a lot of work to be done on the house to restore it to pre-fire condition but we are all safe and that is definitely what matters.  "Things" can be replaced, the people I love can't be.

We are settled in a new house until ours is ready to live in again, we can't wait to go home! Our baby is due in the next few weeks so that has given us something positive to focus on and we can't wait to meet him!


11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how scary and awful! Other half won't let me put appluances on before we go out, i thought he was nuts, but it looks like he was right! Glad everyones ok, and welcome back, hope it all gets sorted soon x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant appliances of course, typo

      Delete
  2. Wow that is crazy! I never realised that dishwashers could cause a fire! So glad that you and your family are ok! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I am so glad you are safe xx

    http://beautyqueenuk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awful, glad you are safe. I wont be putting my washer on over night from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, how awful for you :-( Hope you and your family are ok.

    Hels X

    http://www.babybeautifulmummy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you and your family are safe and well. I'm guilty of putting the washing machine on when out of house but never the tumble dryer as this happened to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always put my washer on last thing at night Jo - won't be doing it now! As you say the main thing is you and the family are ok and that's what matters xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have been so scary for you both! House fires are terrible, in seconds they can destroy everything - so glad you are all okay though, and hopefully you can get your house back to working order sooner rather than later x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, glad you posted this! Good tips and you have probably helped others to be more cautious with these things! God bless and luck with baby and sorting out your home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your lovely comments, the building work will be starting on the house shortly! xx

    ReplyDelete